A new game has been released by Disney Interactive and Lucasfilm today. Star Wars: Commander is a combat strategy game that is free to play. The game is being released exclusively on the iOS platform. Players will be able to choose to lead troops for either the Rebel Alliance or the Galactic Empire.
The storyline for Star Wars: Commander will take place during the era of the original Star Wars movies (IV-VI). The storyline is unique however, even though it will utilize familiar characters (Han Solo, Chewbacca and Princess Leia) from the movies. Depending on which side is played, individual players can determine if the Empire or the Rebels end up winning the war.
Here are a few elements of the game players will get to experience (starwars.com):
- Choose a side: Command AT-ATs, TIE fighters and stormtroopers as the Empire or call on iconic heroes like Han Solo and Princess Leia as part of the Rebellion.
- Build and defend a base: Train unique troops specific to each faction, and fortify a base with deflector shields, turrets, heavy artillery, and other defenses.
- Lead epic battles: Strategically deploy powerful armies, units, and vehicles against enemies and other players around the galaxy.
- Travel to multiple planets and complete special missions: Play an all-new story as a valiant leader on the front lines of the Galactic Civil War.
- Upgrade a strike team and its defenses: Strengthen forces with multiple levels of upgrades for each unit.
Star Wars: Commander can be played on iPad, iPhone and iPod and is available in the Apple App Store.